Friday, June 16, 2017

Appalachian Trail --- Section Hike 1 --- Day 1

And off we go! 

Early flights from White Plains to Atlanta! 

I am thankful to all those AT section/thru hikers who have shared their trail wisdom via blogs, books, emails, in person and over the phone! 

I mentioned to a few that I may be a bit more amped up for this trip because I have my daughter traveling with me. The hiking mama in me wants to provide food, safety and shelter without incident...

I mailed out our drop box: (here's what the really nice postman in Hiawassee told me to do)

c/o General Delivery
Please hold for AT hiker Jeanine Behr, ETA 6/16
118 Main Street
Hiawassee, GA 30546

Our bags have gotten only slightly heavier, added about 2 lbs. to each bag...but true test will come at the airport...

Now the wrapping of the bags for our flight!

How to get to the Approach Trail trailhead...

*Flying direct from NY to Atlanta (Delta flights $160 ea + $25ea for bags)
Wearing one set of our hiking clothes and our camp shoes on the plane
*Taking the MARTA to North Springs, last stop on the red line ($2.50 ea)
*Calling an Uber car to get from North Springs to Danlonega, GA ($80)
*Overnight at the Hiker Hostel (Private room $45, breakfast included)
Some people start at Springer Mtn. some chose Amicalola Falls t hike the approach trail. Without fail, we are choosing AF! All up hill and further away from the hostel! :)
*Calling Uber car to get from Dahlonega to Amicalola Falls, approach trailhead. 

CHANGE OF PLANS! 

Well we landed early, our bags were waiting, our check in at HH wasn't until 3pm, we would have to taxi to and from HH for meals and to and from airport to trailhead... and...and...so...no time like the present to start our adventure. #flylandhike

We called Uber, our driver Brian rocked! He made pit stops at McDonalds (Milli's "last supper"), Starbucks (mommy thinking last soy cappuccino) and Walmart (for Jetboil fuel & a mountain house or two...maybe some candy took :)) and then we were off to start the trail at Amicalola Falls, GA.

We finally started our first steps by 2:30pm...the Approach Trail is no joke! If you make it up the 700+ steep stairs, especially in 85degree direct sun, I promise the rest of the trail will be pure heaven! P.S. - there are benches to take a break on...I stopped almost every bench, nearly threw up twice...and wanted to throw my pack over the Falls once we finally reached the top!! Oh boy...

But Milli was at my wings, cheering me on! Oh to be young... :)

FYI - Amicalola Falls --- 
Amicalola means tumbling water
The Cherokees occupied this area until the Trail of Tears/Treaty of New Echota forced them to move to the Ozarks
Highest water fall in Georgia (729 feet)

Well I now know why Stephen Katz (from Bill Bryson's book) was throwing everything out of his pack on the Approach Trail! We only made it 7.3 miles the first day, it seemed like 27 and my pack felt like 50lbs. AND we are not even off the approach trail! 
Pulled up to Black Gap Shelter, because they had a "privy". 
Whats a privy? Well Milli was wondering the same...think outhouse...with no door...
We were greeted by a friendly group of camping dads with three kids out for a night, equipped with hammocks, tents, fire and food. We searched for a tent spot, first attempt yielded some angry yellow jackets...we laid out the tent over a few of their holes...they were mad! 
Tent up, secure, mosquitoes starting to come out...no bugs in the tent, VICTORY! No I had to feed my kid, crossed eyed, we gobbled down a turkey jerky & cheese sandwich, we (or at least I was) were so gassed. 

Let our journey begin! Only 156 more miles to go! How is that going to happen? I hope I can walk in the morning...

DAY 1 SUMMARY:
Amicalola Falls/AT Approach Trail to Black Gap Shelter 
7.3 miles
Lots of up - Lowest point: 1800ft Highest point: 3300ft
Sunny
Food: McD's, Starbucks, granola bars, jelly beans, turkey jerky/cheese/tortilla
Water: We drank 1-2 liters of water today (each)
People we met: Damon & Joel (father/son)
Highlights: Amicalola Falls and the never ending Approach Trail...
UBER from North Springs to the Approach Trail (Amicalola Falls) ! 

Our future forecast...rain rain stay away! 

Packed up and ready to fly...

Both packs coming in at 55 lbs.!!! 

Fly, land & hike...thats the way to start the AT!

How many more +*%&#$@ steps??? Am I going to make this trip? 
First 425 steps...next 178 steps more....... UGH!

We made it to the top of the Falls...still miles away from the  AT!!!
Still not to the AT yet...???
The Approach Trail...why did we do it? Because I wanted to be an AT purist...but it almost sent me home in tears...

Ok already, I get it, I am exhausted and still have MILES to go... :) 

Tent up, we are smiling...can you tell my eyes are crossed?

Dinner...





 


No comments:

Post a Comment